Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Is being a Hermit a Suitable Life Choice?

I have always believed myself to be a people person. Customer Service was always first choice in career options because I am friendly, approachable, patient and understanding. A warm genuine smile will offset any wanna be cusser outer of the business world. After so many years of retail, fast food and other customer oriented jobs. I think my latest one has me running for a deep cave in the mountains to live of the Earth and paint stick figures on the walls by campfire. The very idea of waking whenever I wish to bathe in a cool stream and breakfast off berries seems very relaxing. No worries, no material possessions to make payments on, no house to keep clean, no people to appease. Ahhh the dream.

Reality is I would like it for about an hour, nap a sweet nap and wake bored out of my mind and already sick of myself. Granted, I love a good camping trip, with others that know how. Truth is I am just kapoot and burnt out. Being a middle manager for a busy fast food joint is an underpaid high stress job. I don't recommend it. If I had to do it again I could just as easily be the underpaid woman at the window taking cash and waving, with no other job than that. "Would you like fries with that?...If everything on your screen is correct, please pull around to the next window please....That will be $1.99 Thank you and have a lovely day". I could do that all day, If my pride would let me as the sole breadwinner of a family of four. No money drawers to count and stress over a drawer that's $2 short. No assigning crew tasks and figuring out how we can be faster, cheaper and friendlier with less people than the day before. No dealing with call-offs and people walking out on their job. No being pulled in 20 different directions while each station needs manager help and tring to figure out why there's no pop coming out of the pop machine and calling to see who can get trash bags because the ordering manager decided trash bags was not a suitable item to break the monthly budget as opposed to ...oh I don't know...anything else. All this while a higher up is telling you the manager before you blew labor and now you have to make up for it by purposely undermanning your floor. Excuse me while I take a moment to scream inside my head. Wait, moment disturbed while someone asks for their tenth smoke break with a line out the door of the lobby and cars wrapped around the building.

Bored sounds pretty good compared to this stress. Of course I don't have internet out there to self-publish my books. Heat and shelter would be nice in winter. Well, I guess I really need to evaluate my career choices and make a change. Cuz this ain't cuttin' it no mo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment