Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Shout out to all shift workers

O...M...G. I am so tired. I am a swing manager at a fast food joint. I can be scheduled to work any shift. I am working thirds this week. As far as the work goes, its actually my favorite shift. It's low key, there's less employees to deal with and none are teenagers and no upper management ever comes in on third. It's just more relaxed. Go in, work, go home. It's all good. The part I have a hard time with is the sleep adjustment. I go home ready to crash but only sleep lightly for about an hour or two. Then I'm awake. After trying to get something done at home for an hour I try to take another long nap. It takes me about four days to adjust. Those four days I'm in a sleep fog trying desperately to remember all my tasks both at home and at work. Day and night I'm exhausted. Then I somehow adjust. The moment this happens, I get put back on first shift.

Last time I was this tired I had a newborn.

It makes me wonder how nurses and firefighters and anybody else that works swing shifts function. You people are special and amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment