Thursday, April 18, 2013

FRUSTRATION!!!

It's amazing how the little things in life are what potentially throws you over the edge. The little things that make the big things bigger and make you snap in frustrating outburst of whelps and unsavory words. Last week my "Smart" phone battery overheated. I really hate the thing. I know some people love them and I admit I am as addicted to mine as the next guy but it is such a headache to me.

Let's start at the beginning. I'm a big believer in living simply and keeping my bills as low as possible. I hate debt and contracts of all kinds. So I bought a pre-paid cell phone plan from Virgin Mobile. The service is great. Unlimited calls and texts, internet and for not much more, with purchase of the HTC Evo, a mobile hotspot. So I went ahead and splurged on the expensive phone and started the plan. The phone always shuts off at random moments and the sound will go silent at any given time for no reason at all. Nothing like your mother calling your son wondering why you never answer the phone. It's because you didn't hear it after turning the ringtone volume up. I'm still trying to figure out why overpaid cell phone tech guys thought these batteries with a long life for a 'dumber' phone is strong enough to run these 'smart' phones that are basically mini computers. While the 20 hour standby time is acceptable, heaven forbid I Google directions to how to change my tire on the side of the road. Study fast, you got five minutes! I learned to live with these so called quirks with the dream of one day upgrading (or downgrading) to something I like better.

My biggest qualm came last week. As I said, my phone battery overheated. I know I can drive down the street to my local Radio Shack, where I purchased the phone, pay $50-$60 for a battery that will also overheat in a few months time, but I got on Ebay. I am a fan of Ebay. Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, all kinds of  internet shopping. So I find not only one battery, not only two batteries...but two batteries and a wall battery charger...wait there's more...these batteries have a chip to keep them from overheating BINGO!! All for an amazing $5.95 plus shipping. For $9.95 I got what I needed but had to wait a week to get it through standard shipping because I am too cheap to spend $20 for overnight shipping on a $5 item.

After a week fighting to borrow my son's cell phone, because my borrowing his phone interferes with his texting his girlfriend, my package arrives today and excitement rules. I pull out my much missed, albeit hated phone, and pull the back off ready to reconnect to the world at large.

The battery is not the right size.

Both batteries are not the right size. Too long and too thin. Strange guttural noises arose from deep inside me and I grabbed my laptop and headed to my local wifi hotspot to see where I went wrong. It wouldn't be the frst time one of my blond moments caused me great frustration. I connected to my Ebay account to recent purchases. There it was in the heading "two batteries for Sprint HTC EVO 4G." I sent a discouraging message to the seller and hopefully gets resolved soon. I may break down and head to my local Radio Shack. Frustration and disappointment rule my day once again.

CURSE YOU FRUSTRATION AND DISAPPOINTMENT with fists in the air. I CURSE YOU I SAY!!

Misery loves company what aargh moments have you had? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment