Thursday, April 25, 2013

Smartphones are Astounding!

Smartphones are astounding! It's no wonder people are so addicted to it especially now, with mobile internet. I find myself on it ALL the time. I wake up and check for school closings and the weather - on my phone. I check my email with every bleep of a notification (ok mine sneezes and makes me giggle every time - it's cute - don't judge) If I can't remember a recipe, I look it up - on the internet - on my phone. I want to get hold of a friend? I message her on Facebook - on my phone (ok used to - but still...) I want to play a game - I download - to my phone. I can download books, movies and music, all to my phone. I don't even have to download them. I have an app for that! Netflix, Pandora (I use Jango) Gmail. There is an app for that.

I know I am not saying anything new here but I am surprised at myself. When I first got my smartphone (HTC Evo 3D) I hated it! So I thought. They are mini computers. Even though I used it it to it's full advantage, including why I got this one in the first place, as a hotspot for my laptop at home, I thought it was too much. It froze on me all the time. I could take out the battery to reset the phone faster than a cowboy could draw his six-shooter. I thought I wanted to downgrade to a flip phone. All I could think about was 'what if I got mugged on my way home from work?' Just to call 911 I have to unlock it, click on the phone app then dial 911 all while screaming and being bludgeoned for my $2.

When it was time to replace my phone, I started to reach for the flip I wanted and my hand wavered. No, no. I don't want the hassle of a smartphone, I reminded myself. But how will I check my blogger stats on a whim with a flip phone? What if I need to Google something, like 15 things to do with a banana peel? That's important, right?

My Chaser is not as advanced as my Evo was but it ain't dumb.

P.S. In case I got you curious.....http://gomestic.com/home/extraordinarily-different-things-to-do-with-a-banana/

No comments:

Post a Comment